Sunday, July 15, 2007

Let's make up some words

One thing that is strange with the Technorati webpage is that the search bar shown in the Technorati tour video is not what actually appears on the page. It didn't matter whether I used Explorer or Firefox and whether I was signed in or signed out. Yes, I actually created yet another account thinking that maybe you had to be a member of the Technorati club to get the real goods. But no deal. The video shows a drop down menu right on the search bar which does not exist when you actually go to the Technorati page. I found that I had to go to the Advanced Search to find these specific searches.

Allow me a quick digression...It annoys me how these people just make up words. Like favorited as a verb OR an adjective as in "He favorited this blog..." or "100 top favorited blogs." Of course, the word blog itself is pretty offensive. I guess the adjective favorite just isn't good enough somehow. And the verb favor just doesn't cut it. I know, I know, they have their self-important construct where you add a blog to your favorites and so it is favorited etc....It just really gets my goat.

Back to searching on Technorati...
The results were very different searching "Library 2.0" in the three searches. Makes sense. Exploring the "top three" reveals that most of the sites are about, not surprisingly, technology and gadgets!
Gadget, huh, where did that word come from...hmmm, looking it up in the dictionary...what's this, origin unknown...

No comments: